We live in a world of patterns. Some very clever people have been identifying and naming patterns in software for a long time now. In build and deployment, we’re just beginning. Here’s five:
- Aslak HellesÃ¸y kicks things off with Immediate Test Failure Notification. If you’ve ever had to sit through a long CI build and then find out a test failed for some really crappy reason, you’ll like this one.
- Jon Tirsen introduces the Fast and the Full Builds. When your full build seems to take hours, you might break this one out.
- Sam Newman gives us the Checkin Gate. Otherwise known as the Checkin Dance. See also Movable Checkin Gate.
- The Build Doctor prescribes the Amnesiac CI Build. Oh, and he also scrawled down Captive Build Tool.
- Parumu gives us (among others) Binary Deliverable – one big monolith of deployment. Unsubtle but very predictable.
There must be more. If you have any suggestions I’d love to hear them. Comment here or drop a line to ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ …