Top .NET dog Roy Osherove just blogged some good questions about choosing a build automation or CI tool. This comes hot on the heels of his post about the difference between continuous build and continuous integration.
Here’s a few more questions:
- If someone breaks the config, can I roll it back?
- If not, can I secure it so that people can manage their own projects?
- Can I use the tool to help release code as well as build/test/integrate?
- Is there an ecosystem around the tool? (plugins, etc)
- Can I trace artifacts of a build back to the original commit?
- Is it platform agnostic (I won’t go back to the days of 3 ports of CruiseControl, thanks very much)
What would your questions be?